Frank,
In addition to improved tensile loading eccentric contractions are able to withstand greater forces with less muscular activity.  Effectively you are stronger eccentrically than concentrically.  This I believe has a lot to do with the parallel elastic component and stored energy within the tissue, but a physiologist would better explain this.  I could look it up of course but time is of the essence at present.

Scott
---
Scott Epsley
BPhty., MAPA, SPG.