As an interested 'lurker' on this and 'supertraining' mailbases and as a
lecturer in physiotherapy, I feel I must add comment to this discussion.

I am constantly advocating my students to review all 'instant cures' and
quick fixes utilising what should be common physiological and biomechanical
knowledge, supported by recent academic publications. Thus I have been
questioned many times on the principle of 'the body knows not of muscle -
only movements' - and how this fits with 'core stability' exercises. well to
me it doesn't!
I will quote from one of many references with regard to this:

Mulder T, Hulstyn W: 'Sensory feedback therapy and theoretical knowledge of
motor control and learning'. Am J Phys Med 63:226-244, 1984.
"Normal movement does not consist of isolated actions that are cortically
controlled. rather it is a sequence of synergic movement patterns that are
functionally related. Besides initiating muscle activation, which produces
the movement, synergies also serve to maintain equilibrium. Therefore,
another goal of treatment may be to improve dynamic postural and movement
synergies available, decreasing the tendency for excessive and prolonged
recruitment of muscle activity to stabilise posture during movement. Thus,
muscle reeducation sequences should NOT be performed in isolated movements.
Instead they should be incorporated immediately into functional,
goal-oriented tasks".

 whilst I am aware that this may be somewhat old now, it is quoted as it
covers many of the aspects discussed so far, such as equilibrium and
balance - as well as the so called 'isolation'.

More up to date research also questions the rehabilitation benefits of
antagonistic GROUP actions, let alone the so called ability to isolate in
functional activity.

Helewa A, Goldsmith CH, Lee P, Smythe HA, Forwell L. "Does strengthening the
abdominal muscles prevent low back pain - a randomised controlled trial" J
Rheumatol 1999;Aug26 (8) 1808-15
Without quoting the whole study, the results showed no difference between
back ex's only and abdominal ex's and back ex's'. this was @ 3mnths, 6mnths,
12 mnths and 24 mnths. It would appear that the 'functional ex's' taught to
and by the students incorporate sufficient rehabilitatory affects - even if
they are 'exercises that incorporate the L-spine to the ankle from the
get-go'.

I might also add that the advocates of 'core stability' that are quoted in
references, almost always appear to be the same people - no one else appears
to be replicating this? So In conclusion the whole concept of 'isolation',
'core stability' et al' is only discussed as a good medium for academic
discourse, and contrasted with the physiological and biomechanical support
for such as PNF.

Robin Shutt
Lecturer in Physiotherapy.