Today (28. December) is the feast day of:

the Holy Innocents (c. 0)  The Holy Innocents are the young children of
Bethlehem, slaughtered at Herod's orders after the Magi told him that a new
king had been born there (Matt 2: 1-18).  Commentators estimate that there
were between 6 and 25 of them (although to judge from the works of some
painters, they numbered in the 100s).  Their feast has been celebrated in
the West since the 4th century.  Oddly, Augustine, that great proponent of
original sin, is among the preachers who developed the theology of the cult
as honoring all who die in a state of innocence.

Theodoros of Tabennisi (d. 368)  Theodoros was born in c. 314 in Egypt.  At
the age of 14 he became a monk and disciple of Pachomius at Tabennisi in
Upper Egypt (I'm sorry, I don't think that's what it's called in English,
but I can't think of the right form).  In 350 Theodoros succeeded Pachomius
as abbot, besides founding new monasteries.

Maughold (Mawgan, Mac Cuill) (d. c. 488)  Maughold was an enemy of St.
Patrick.  In Muirchú's Life of St. Patrick,  Patrick bested him in a
contest of magic, after which Maughold converted to Christianity.  As
penance he put himself in chains and set himself adrift in a coracle
without oars or rudder.  The former pagan made it to the Isle of Man,
where, according to tradition, he became a missionary.  Another version of
his tale reports that Patrick sent him to the Isle of Man as a bishop.

Dr. Phyllis G. Jestice

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]