Speaking as a "Russian" (a convert monk in the Russian Church) I really
would ask that this be viewed more dispassionately.  Whereas we in the
West are quite familiar with the Salvation Army and its extensive
network of social works, in Russia their  activity is something new and
they are seen as a cult, as much as any of the other cults which have
assailed Russia and its reviving spiritual life since the fall of the
Communist government.  Because the SA chooses not to practice even
Baptism, many Russians, including the Church, do not see them as
Christian.  Under the Soviets the Baptism of an under-18 child was
recorded in the parents' internal passports.  This was a momentous
decision because the entry in the passport effectively stopped the
upward career of those parents - and now we have a group from the West
telling Russians that Baptism is unnecessary to be a Christian!

The Russian Orthodox Church is itself involved with the provision of
charitable works such as soup kitchens, shelters for orphans,
alcoholics, and it see the intrusion of the SA as dangerous for the
spiritual life of the nation, since along with the soup there comes the
SA teaching of non-Baptism.

John, do you live in Oman?  If your hackles are so raised, how about
pointing them at the legitimate grievances which Christians have in
Oman.  Do Christians there still have to meet in walled-off compounds
owned by the Omani government?  And is it still an offence to take any
Christian material out of those compounds and distribute it?  Is it
still illegal to sell the Bible in Oman?

Fr Ambrose