<snip>
> I'm puzzled why, since there's such a shortage of interesting saints for
> 21. December, the latest Roman calendar moved the commemoration of Thomas
> the Apostle from this date to the date of his translatio.  Was it part of
> concerted effort to free up Advent?
>
> Dr. Phyllis G. Jestice

Or is it related to Dec 21st being the day (or eve) of Solstice, a
significant Pagan holy day, and one associated with quite a few "holy child"
births. Perhaps, rather than subsuming the holiday, it was considered better
to reduce it's religious significance to avoid the risk of providing cover,
as it were, for practises not condoned by the Church?

Terri

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]