Happy feast of St Thorlak!
and just a minor correction: Thorlak becomes a saint in 1198
 because  of his translation
(July 20). vows had been permitted at the national assembly
earlier that year, by way of testing the waters to see if he
really was a saint, but that was all.
  The announcement at the national assembly in 1199 (mentioned in annals) was
that his feast (i.e. today, Dec. 23) was to be celebrated throughout
the country. The national assembly did not, as is sometimes asserted,
"canonize" Thorlak on this occasion,
 it simply publicized his sanctity and the decision
to celebrate his feast throughout the country. (It would undoubtedly
have been celebrated the preceding year at Skalholt, but news of
the translation might not have spread to distant parts of the country.
and decisions of Skalholt would not effect the other diocese, Holar
However, the bishop of Holar would hardly have objected, since he
started the proceedings in the first place! One assumes that in matters
concerning feast days, the two bishops, who were part of the law council,
pretty much had their own way.)

(Phyllis - do I need to re-do the entry for the encylopedia???)

meg

>medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and culture

>Today (23. December) is the feast day of:

>Servulus of Rome (d. 590)  Servulus was lame from birth.  He collected alms
>before the church of S. Clemente, passing most of them on to those who were
>even poorer.  Gregory the Great gave a sermon about him, praising his
>humble and heroic life.

>Dagobert II (d. 679)  Dagobert was born in c. 652.  After his father, King
>Sigibert III, died, Dagobert was banished and spent time in a monastery in
>Ireland.  In 676 he returned and became king of Austrasia.  The mayor of
>the palace, Ebroin, arranged for Dagobert's murder while hunting.  He came
>to be regarded as a martyr by the people.

>Ivo of Chartres (d. 1116)  Ivo was born in c. 1040 near Beauvais.  He
>became an Augustinian canon and in 1090 was elected bishop of Chartres.  He
>publicly criticized the relationship between King Philip I and Bertrade of
>Anjou, and in consequence was imprisoned for two years.  Ivo is most famous
>for his works of canon law.

>Thorlak Thorhallsson (d. 1193) Thorlak is the only Icelandic saint
>recognized by Rome.  He was born in 1133 in Iceland.  He went abroad to
>Paris and Lincoln for his education, becoming an Augustinian canon and
>prior (then abbot) of the Augustinian house at Thykkvabaer.  In 1178
>Thorlak became bishop of Skalholt.  He won a great reputation for sanctity,
>and the national assembly of Iceland announced that he was a saint in 1198.

>Johannes Cantius of Cracow (d. 1473)  Johannes was born in 1390 in Poland;
>he became a canon and professor of theology in Cracow.  In the course of
>his lifetime, he made four barefoot pilgrimages to Rome and one to
>Jerusalem.  Johannes was honored as a saint in his lifetime, especially for
>his deep piety and love of others.  There were numerous miracles at his
>tomb, and he was beatified in 1690 and canonized in 1767.  His feast was
>originally celebrated on Christmas Eve, but in 1969 was moved to the 23rd.

>Dr. Phyllis G. Jestice

>To join the list, send the message: join medieval-religion YOUR NAME
>to: [log in to unmask]
>To send a message to the list, address it to:
>To leave the list, send the message: leave medieval-religion
>to: [log in to unmask]
>In order to report problems or to contact the list's owners, write to:
>For further information, visit our web site:
>http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/medieval-religion.html

Margaret Cormack                        [log in to unmask]
Dept. of Philosophy and Religion        fax: 843-953-6388
College of Charleston                   tel: 843-953-8033
Charleston, SC 29424-0001

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]