Margaret,

I am not sure what period of medieval history in which you are most interested, but you might find the comments of Peter Blair, in his Anglo-Saxon England, useful.  I just happened to be reading it right after seeing your message. He considers chronology and hagiography to have been the starting points for Anglo-Saxon historians. He seems to think that monastic writers interested in history would regularly have been trained in the computus and that the notes written next to dates in Easter tables became the basis for monastic annals.  The origin of chronicles may be quite familiar to you already, but it seemed pertinent to the question.

Kim Rivers