A quick response on the eve of Christmas -

Some good authors to search: Mike Oliver, Gery Zarb, Colin Barnes.

Two recent articles worth following up, which in turn might lead you to
some useful material:

     Knox, M. & Hickson, F. (2001).  The meaning of close
     friendships: the views of four people with intellectual
     disability.  Journal of Applied Research in Intellectual
     Disabilities, Vol. 14, pp. 276-291.  [NB: Marie Knox has done
     a quite a bit of work in area of participatory research - she
     is Senior Lecturer in the School of Human Services, Queensland
     University of Technology, Beams Road, Carseldine, Queensland,
     Australia, 4034; [log in to unmask] ]

     Mactavish, J., Mahon, M. & Lutfiyya, Z. (2000).  I can speak
     for myself: involving individuals with intellectual
     disabilities as research participants.  Mental Retardation,
     Vol. 38, pp. 216-227.

Kind regards,

Keith.

LILITH Finkler wrote:

> Hi there! I am writing my thesis proposal and have been looking for
> examples
> and/or theoretical approaches to participatory research involving
> people
> with disabilities. Much to my surprise and chagrin, there does not
> seem to
> be alot around. Am I missing stuff? Anyone have any suggestions?
> Thanks in
> advance, Lilith Finkler
> P.S. I am a grad student in Environmnetal Studies at York University
> in
> Toronto, Canada.

> ________________End of message______________________
>
> Archives and tools for the Disability-Research Discussion List
> are now located at:
>
> www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/disability-research.html
>
> You can JOIN or LEAVE the list from this web page.

Keith R. McVilly
B.A.., Grad. Dip. Psych., M. Psych. (Clinical)
MAPS & Member of the APS College of Clinical Psychologists

University of Sydney, Faculty of Medicine
Centre for Developmental Disability Studies
PO Box 6            RYDE                     1680
New South Wales
Australia

Tel.       02 - 8878 0500
Fac.      02 - 9807 7053