> From [log in to unmask] Tue Dec 11 23:02 MET 2001
> Date:         Tue, 11 Dec 2001 22:03:21 -0000
> From: Pete Johnston <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject:      Re: FW: Problem with our RDF schemas
> To: [log in to unmask]
>
> Harry said:
>
> > I think this is a better approach than using eor:schema.
>
> I was arguing that to an RDF application it's exactly the same.... ;-)

It is the same RDF model - you just changed it's syntactical expression
in RDF/XML.

> So I think your concern is for the human reader being confused/deterred by
> the use of an unfamiliar namespace and/or namespace prefix?
>
> I _do_ think that may well be a valid concern, but we need to be clear about
> what problem we're addressing.

I don't understand this.

> >  Should it be
> >
> > <rdf:Description rdf:ID="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/">
> >
> > though, rather than
> >
> > <rdf:Description rdf:about="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/">?
>
> I'm inclined to say in this case it's the latter (i.e. use rdf:about rather
> than rdf:ID).
>
> However, sorry to harp on about this point..... I think I need to be
> completely clear about what resource is being described here. I think the
> inclusion of
>
> <rdf:type rdf:resource="http://dublincore.org/2000/03/13/eor#Schema"/>
>
> perhaps helps to remove ambiguity, but I'm not altogether sure it's
> sufficient....

rdf:ID cannot be used in this context.

> What resource are we seeking to describe in this set of statements in the
> "administrative metadata"?
>
> The namespace (in the abstract)? The Dublin Core Metadata Element Set?
> (Maybe these first two are the same....?) Or are we describing the document
> (an RDF Schema) in which the metadata is embedded?
>
> I'm looking at the RDF schema which describes the EOR vocabulary, which is
> at
>
> http://dublincore.org/2000/03/13/eor
>
> The description of the class http://dublincore.org/2000/03/13/eor#Schema
> (i.e. eor:Schema) which I find there is:
>
>   <rdfs:Class rdf:about="http://dublincore.org/2000/03/13/eor#Schema">
>   <rdfs:label>RDF Schema</rdfs:label>
>   <rdfs:comment>A RDF schema</rdfs:comment>
>   <rdfs:subClassOf rdf:resource="http://purl.org/dc/dcmitype/Text" />
>   <rdfs:isDefinedBy rdf:resource="http://dublincore.org/2000/03/13/eor#" />
>   </rdfs:Class>
>
> So, a resource of type eor:Schema is also a resource of type text and "the
> human readable description" (rdfs:comment) of this description of the class
> eor:Schema tells me it's "a RDF Schema".
>
> (Roland, in answer to your follow-up question, this is where I - as a human
> reader - find the answer to what http://dublincore.org/2000/03/13/eor#Schema
> means, but I'm less sure what a program could do with that information as
> it's "just" an rdfs:comment).

Dear Pete,

i was not arguing against an RDFS declaration of a Schema class.
I'm more concerned about, why we do not try to make it a dc term.

Literal values are for human consumption - A browser will display
exposed literal values in case you embed RDF in (X)HTML.

Cheers
rs