I excavated an urban site last year, which had a very puzzling feature. The
brickwork has been dated to the 16th-17th century,
while the backfill was solidly 17th century (claypipe etc.). The backfill
was ash (both coal and charcoal), with a little fe slag at the base.
Initially I thought it may be a furnace, but the lack of slag and
vitrified brick makes this unlikely.
The feature consisted of two bricklined chambers upto 3ft deep. One
was circular, 1.3m in diameter and 0.65m deep. The other was rectangular,
1.7m by 1.45m and 0.82 deep. They were connected by a narrower passage 0.6m
long. I can supply a plan if required.

Any suggestions?