Thanks for the responses to my enquiry about the recent documentary on the
sounds of ancient burial mounds; it's given me much  for thought, not the
least of which concerns the question : "how could one go about recreating
the soundscapes of long-forgotten places?" (and : would it be worth it?).
An important point which came from the tv prog and the preceding radio prog
was that the science of designing the way a place (particularly an arificial
one) sounded was virtually as well developed 5K years ago as it is today! -
and further, it was at least as well developed as visual design. A sobering
conclusion.
In fact, it could be argued that we've gone backwards in terms of
place-sound design; our contemporary soundscape (which I admit I often find
interesting) is as messy as a countryside littered with mining spoil. It's
as though an architect had spent all the clients money on an impressive
building, but nobody thought to clear up the builder's rubbish, and the
local scrapman keeps his surplus stocks in it, and local inhabitants think
it's the council dumpit site, and so on. There's so much stuff in it that
you can't actually find anything. I personally love scrapyards, but I
wouldn't want to live in one.
Yet, sound-wise, we all do.
 cheers
ppl