Hi all,

I've just joined the list. I'm afraid I have no experience of using either a quantitative or qualitative content analysis program, but hopefully somebody on the list might be able to help me.

My query is this: my planned study is of a weekly sample of newspapers texts over a 5/6 year period.  The  "quantitative" aim of the study is, simply, word counts; that is, to look for the incidence of particular words over the course of the study. I  also hope to track particular word/conceptual associations - the type of thing, that I'm told, is the staple of qualitative CA programs. Is there a program that could do BOTH of these tasks (perhaps there're several?), with the power, in turn, to handle what will be a very large amount of text data?

Nudist is one program that's been recommended to me by others. Its website has an older version, the N4 Classic, available to students for £60: would this program do the job for me?

I'm sure list participants get requests like this all the time, but if someone could help or advise me at all on software choice, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Sean Phelan
PhD Student
School of Communications