Grr Albuquerque Grr London
Darlings i am residing in the costa del Dublin.  Wonderful - well, actually
not too bad - 8 degrees clear and blue enough to burn off the smog at least
(who ever said Ireland was clean n green)/

Harriet sorry for being silent - this is me work computer and it was the
weekend!!

Both Alan's and your messages struck me - Alan's because it reflects the
position I am in - as a health services researcher with an anthropological
background.  Over and over again I see 'qualitative' research proposals
which consist of a semi-structured (more structured than semi) interview
schedule delivered under tight controls to a random sample of 100+
participants each of which MUST be asked the SAME questions in the SAME
order.  Suggesting that there are other ways of doing it lead to raised
eyebrows and mutterings of poor research, validity, reliability etc etc.  On
the other hand - although there are one or two nurses doing ethnographic
research, that is literally it, one or two - and publications non-existent
so it isn't so much preservation of mystery but total isolation on the part
of these people.  Ethnography remains in the realm of anthropology (with
some links with sociology) - but it is by no means anywhere near mainstream
research.

As for publishing - well Ireland is increasingly taking on what Strathern
has called the 'audit culture' of higher education in the UK and this is
having some of the same impacts - pressure to publish in high impact
journals.  In health services, most of the high impact journals would
laugh/run away from the research I would like to engage in (there are a few
notable exceptions, though).  On the other hand, qualitative research
journals, or anthropology ones, have very low impact factors.  In short,
they don't  count in the eyes of the auditors.  Am sure everyone can
empathise in this - also read Marilyn Strathern's work on audit culture,
very interesting stuff.

Shame and obscurantism - Harriet gets to the heart of much academic debate -
if you are not sure of yourself, retreat into using big words!  Weave a web
of words around your opponent... I think one of the joys of qual research at
first was the freedom it gave you to express and celebrate uncertainty.
Without that, what is the point?  If you have to know everything about the
endeavour from start to finish, doesn't it defeat the purpose.  I also have
found that one of the most common 'weapons' used in debates is accusing
someone of engaging in 'bad research'.  Everyone has had this thrown at them
at some point or another (and, if we are to be totally honest, have thrown
it), which should render the entire research community totally incompetent.
Which we're not.  It would be nice to look at why and how this is done, and
the consequences of such unconstructive criticism

Finally, if anyone can beat my personal favourite piece of obscurantism, I'd
love to hear it!! This is mine

Operationalism as a methodological dogma

If you can get the reference for this you get a prize if you can turn up at
me office (ahaha)

Sarah Delaney
Research Officer
Health Services Research Centre