Today (22. November) is the feast day of:

Philemon (1st cent.)  Philemon was a citizen of Colossae in Asia Minor; he
was probably converted to Christianity by Paul during Paul's residence in
Ephesus.  Philemon is mostly known through Paul's letter to him, but
according to legend, he was stoned to death in c. 70.

Cecilia (d. 230?)  Cecilia's life is buried in legend; none of the great
early Christian writers mention her, and she does not appear on early
calendars.  Her veneration seems to have begun in Rome in the fifth
century.  The legend of Cecilia: Already as a child Cecilia was secretly
betrothed to Jesus, and vowed eternal chastity.  At her parents' orders,
however, she had to married the non-Christian youth Valerianus.  She
converted him on their wedding night, after which V was baptized and joined
Cecilia in the care of persecuted Christians.  V. and his brother Tiburtius
were arrested and beheaded after being tortured, and in the process Cecilia
was discovered.  She was tortured and then condemned to be beheaded, but
survived three blows of the sword, only dying three days later of her
injuries.  Cecilia has been the special patron of musicians since the
sixteenth century, probably because of the antiphon in her Acts: "as the
organs [at her wedding feast] were playing, Cecilia sang to the Lord,
saying: may my heart remain unsullied, so that I be not confounded."
(Farmer, 94)

Dayniol the Younger (d. 621)  Dayniol was abbot of Bangor.  He apparently
survived Ethelfrid of Northumbria's assault on the monastery in 616, when
the monks were massacred and the monastery itself destroyed.

Dr. Phyllis G. Jestice

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]