Hello,
           I agree that ebm can not be considered in isolation from the wider
society in which we operate and the war is obviously formost in peoples' thoughts.
However, I think the imperative is on people concerned about the war to directly
link their postings to ebm. Democracy is undoubtably relevant to ebm but surely
certain versions of ebm can operate without democracy? I think it needs to be
debated what it is about democracy that enables better science, and how our own
democracies act as barriers/facilitators of good research and practice.  Personally
I would be very interested to see more postings on issues like ebm and the
pharmaceutical industry, on the mispresentation of risk, on choosing the research
agenda, and the relationship between scientific method, ideology and political
ends. However, there are other health list serves that are probably more suitable
for postings directly on the war and health e.g. public health
([log in to unmask]), health equity network (UK inequalities,
[log in to unmask]), and the most tolerant list spirit of 1848

Best wishes,
James