I'm outta here.  Maybe if I sign up for a political discussion list, someone
might discuss EBM.

-----Original Message-----
From: Jon Brassey [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Friday, November 02, 2001 4:07 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Repsponsibility of Intellectuals

From my readings of Chomsky his main standpoint is one that those with power
need to be held accountable for their actions.  He see that intellectuals
have a responsibility, due to their privelidge, to expose 'wrongdoings' in
whatever form.

I have gained a great deal from reading Chomsky over the years and am struck
by his compassion and his optimism.

Being polite I think some members are being rather too simplistic and fall
into the trap that Chomsky himself writes about extensively.

The view seems to go something like this - if you are against US/UK
intervention in Afghanistan that means you are pro-Taliban - which is
clearly absurd.

Yes, killing 6,000 people is appaling.  But two wrongs don't make a right.

I was struck by, prior to the invasion of Kuwait, how 'our' (USA/UK)
favoured 'puppet' in the Middle East Saddam Hussain was able to carry out
huge human rights abuses.  The major voices of dissent was not the USA/UK
mainstream but 'freethinkers' such as Chomsky.  So when 'we' got annoyed
that he used all the weapons we sold him against our interests - primarily
the oil - he started to be the big evil.  All his wrongdoings were rolled
out - even though they were widely known beforehand.  Yes he was evil for
using Chemical Weapons against the Kurds.  He was the second person to do
that - any guesses on who was the first?

The list has been aired in previous mailings.

6,000 dead is appalling, so is the Taliban treatment of women, as is the
ever increasing death toll in Afghanistan, as is the treatment of women in
numerous other states which are 'our' friends (therefore glossed over - as
is their un-democratic nature).  Still they are on our side so that's okay.

So as 'intellectuals' we should stand-up for human rights abuses wherever
they are.

jon