Apologies for X posting as I have posted this message both to EB & PH lists.

Dear All,

Greetings from Al-Ain the oasis city. I have always found the memers of the
list very supportive and resourceful in providing guidance and help. I need
some advise on the following.

We are bidding for grant monies for CHARM - a research cum service project
in Al-Ain.

CHARM stands for Cardiac Health promotion in Al-Ain by Risk Modification.

UAE has witnessed tremendous growth in infrastructure and changes in life
style in the last few decades and now cardiovascular diseases are the
leading cause of death in this population.

Aim of CHARM is to "To study the acceptability and process of delivery of a
heart health promotion program [HHPP] in Al Ain and to determine whether
this program leads to a modification in the risk factor profile during a
three-year follow-up".

The features of CHARM include establishment of HHPC (heart health promotion
clinics) and CPAC (Community Physical Activity Centres). HHPC will provide a
battery services to participants including smoking cessation services,
dietary advise, exercise prescription, and HT and diabetes control.

CPAC - Community Physical Activity Cantre - This will be a novel approach in
this part of the world in which we are hoping to set up 5 centres in the
community which will have all the facilities for physical activity and
exercise packages will be offered free of charge (community Gym).

We are hoping to recruit 1500 participants both at high risk and others (for
CVD) and will randomise them in to three groups. Group 1 will receive
dietary advise, Group II will receive CPAC services and group III will
receive both. All smokers will be provided smoking cessation services.These
activities will be undertaken as a part of HHPC.

The intervention will last for two years and we will follow participants at
0, 6, 12, 24 and 36 months to see the change in risk factor profile both
biochemical and lifestyle.

Here are my questions:

Can any one points us towards an exercise package that could be offered in
the CPAC?

We are comparing for three groups. What should be our primary end point and
how do we calculate power of the study? with the money available we cannot
exceed 500 in each group.

Is there an ideal list of biochemical parameters that we should be measuring
at every visit?

Are there any similar studies (apart from the BIG ones)?

If any one is interested I could provide more information on CHARM. We are
hoping to submit the proposal by end of November. I will greatly appreciate
any feed back from the members of the list.

Apologies for the long message and hope some of you will be able to help us.

Cheers & regards,

Badrinath

Dr.P.Badrinath M.D.,M.Phil.,(Epid) PhD(Cantab)DFPHM(UK)MPH
Clinical Assistant Professor and Epidemiologist,
Department of Community Medicine,
UAE University, PO Box 17666, Al Ain,
United Arab Emirates.
Tel: 00 971 3 7039 652
Fax: 00 971 3 7672022.
http://myprofile.cos.com/badrishanthi

"For an excellent review of the current medical literature, go to Journals
Scan www.uaeu.ac.ae/jscan/- BMJ 3rd June 2000,Reviews(Netlines)