From: Matt Williams [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Tuesday, November 20, 2001 11:10 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Clinical Examination and Evidence base

Dear List,

I was wondering if anyone else was interested in the evidence (or lack of
it) behind clincial examination. It seems to be an interesting area,
especially given that most people accept the figures of 80-90% of diagnoses
being made on history taking and physical examination.

Ever since I made the mistake of mentioning it in passing to someone, they
have been asking me for help with a presentation on the evidence behind
eponymous and 'pathognomic' signs.

I have covered some of the ground with the RACE series in JAMA from the
late 90's, and I have a few other references. Does anyone else have any
ideas?

Yours,
Matt Williams
Medical SHO,