Following an enquiry here's the latest on the V& A do ...as we
affectionately call it ... As you may imagine I have been rather busy
finalising the event which has grown like the proverbial ...  Hope to see
you there -  this is the latest statement- please spread the word.

LATEST

There has an overwhelming and enormous response from musicians from all over
England to perform at the free live event at the Victoria and Albert Museum,
London
on Sunday 25th November.... I was invited to put an event together as part
of the Museum's  celebration of the opening of their new British Gallery.
There will be music and song performances at both entrances to the V&A
throughout the day  (Cromwell Rd and Exhibition Rd) from 10.00 onwards. Yes,
music and song, with the discreet step dance or two, perhaps ... obviously
the exhibits (some exceeding old, as you probably know)  do not allow
frenzied  Morris, sword couple or tango dances! Yes, we know we can do it
but the various curators don't....so we won't (well ... not on this occasion
at least!)

There will also be individual performers featuring a wide range of
instruments throughout the afternoon - in the Raphael gallery ...which leads
on to the new (£31 million) British Gallery....and additionally in  the old
musical instrument gallery (  to be confirmed).

The musician list reads like a who's-who on the traditional music scene but
there's always space for more. Given that there are over a thousand people
passing through the doors on a normal Sunday - paying an admission fee - and
this is the beginning of the Gallery's free admission policy - it's a
unequalled opportunity to present our music and song to many people that may
have never  experienced  it or certainly, not seen it live.  I am
anticipating a mass blow -out(?) at the end of the day featuring all the
musicians that are there - the V&A trusting that we won't really raise the
roof.  The acoustic is rather staggering as you can imagine. So any musician
is invited to bring along their instrument(s) for a bash!

I've also arranged for the display of "our wares" as well as any promotional
material, leaflets, etc. again, are all welcome. Just contact me.  I may
never be invited to the V&A again but ....what an opportunity - it could
well be the biggest session of fellow musicians this century (OK - so far,
at least ....)

Also, on Friday evening a rare treat! Tony Hall (the wonderful box player
and singer from Norfolk) and Ryburn 3step (Chris Coe, Pete Coe and Johnny
Adams) are performing at the Musical Traditions Club, cnr Foley St and
Cleveland St London W1.  All in town for the Sunday event, of course.
and....
Saturday night at the Jorene Celeste (which sounds like a cross between a
country n western singer and an abandoned vessel but it's a great pub!) - we
are having a open session with anyone that's in town. The pub (used to be
called the Vulture's perch) is in Kentish Town Rd... turn left outside
Kentish Town tube station and it's a couple of doors away.
Come and support all or any of these, come and play and celebrate the music
that is so often overlooked or trivialised ... after all it's exactly one
month to Christmas!

Doc Rowe

-   -       -   -       -   -       -   -       -   -
To see members list--
  email [log in to unmask] with the message: review ethno-uk
To read previous messages--
  http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/ethno-uk.html
To post--
  send email to [log in to unmask]
To leave--
  email [log in to unmask] with message: leave ethno-uk
To join--
  email [log in to unmask] with message: join ethno-uk
Do use emoticons :-) 8-) %-\  3:*>
  ref: http://www.ultranet.com/support/netiquette/emoticons.shtml