To my mind the confusion for students comes with the use of capacity. How
can an economy produce beyond full capacity?

Capacity is the level of output achieved when workers (and machines) are
operating normally.

Output can rise beyond capacity. How? workers start doing overtime or
working extra shifts. For capital normal maintenance procedures are
suspended so that output can be raised.

Regards

Richard Young
Business Studies, Economics & ICT Teacher
Wood Green School
Woodstock Road
Witney OX28 1DX

Tel 01993 702355
Fax 01993 708662

www.woodgreen.oxon.sch.uk
BECTa/Guardian Secondary School Web Site of the Year 2001