Perhaps we should develop our our course which requires ATLS, APLS ALS as a prerequisite to attend but moves on further for more senior trainees and consultants. For example including RSI and Sedation Techniques
----- Original Message -----
From: [log in to unmask]>Fred Cartwright
To: [log in to unmask]>[log in to unmask]
Sent: 27 November 2001 14:48
Subject: Re: Merit Badging - who 'sucks' as an Emergency Physician?

--- Craig Ellis <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Cliff,
> I dont know the official Australasian
> position, but certain high
> ranking Fellows have at various times expressed
> strong opposition to any
> suggestion that any of these courses are made
> compulsary, for all the
> reasons you mention. Currently none are.
>
> My personal view is much the same as yours, with the
> possible exception of
> APLS.

Here in the UK with revalidation coming along shortly,
when we will be rquired not only to perform well, but
also show that we do I suspect that it won't be long
before recertification in ALS, APLS & ATLS is
required. AFAIK resus training is compulsory in the
US. Certainly BLS training is for nurses and front
line docs. No certificate, suspended without pay!
Personally I have no strong views. As long as it is
paid for I'm happy to go off and spend 3 days doing
something different. I wonder who they will get to do
the work while we are away?!

Fred Cartwright.