Perhaps we should develop our our course which requires ATLS, APLS ALS as a prerequisite to attend but moves on further for more senior trainees and consultants. For example including RSI and Sedation Techniques
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Fred Cartwright
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: 27 November 2001 14:48
  Subject: Re: Merit Badging - who 'sucks' as an Emergency Physician?

        --- Craig Ellis <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
        > Cliff,
        > I dont know the official Australasian
        > position, but certain high
        > ranking Fellows have at various times expressed
        > strong opposition to any
        > suggestion that any of these courses are made
        > compulsary, for all the
        > reasons you mention. Currently none are.
        >
        > My personal view is much the same as yours, with the
        > possible exception of
        > APLS.

        Here in the UK with revalidation coming along shortly,
        when we will be rquired not only to perform well, but
        also show that we do I suspect that it won't be long
        before recertification in ALS, APLS & ATLS is
        required. AFAIK resus training is compulsory in the
        US. Certainly BLS training is for nurses and front
        line docs. No certificate, suspended without pay!
        Personally I have no strong views. As long as it is
        paid for I'm happy to go off and spend 3 days doing
        something different. I wonder who they will get to do
        the work while we are away?!

        Fred Cartwright.