----- Original Message -----
From: <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: audit commission report
> Why are so many people so dispairing about A&E and still doing the
> job? The waiting times in A&E are appalling - we all know that and
> there is a good opportunity at the moment when we finally have a
> target that relates to us - the 4 hour target. This focuses attention
> and should be helpful. However it is not just about resources- how
> you use them also matters- I want senior staff everytime now. Some
> systems work better than others - local department management IS
> important and we should try and learn from the good departments. Good
> relations with the hospital management team is vital and I know I am
> very fortunate in having a supportive management team and importantly
> one who recognises that we are the first part of a patient journey so
> what happens further down the line matters to us. We are having an
> exciting challenging time at the moment thinking about new working
> practices/ systems. The Audit Commission report adds to my power to
> encourage system change and so I am happy to have it.

I quite agree Katherine, I just didn't put it as eloquently as you have! I
welcome this report and also welcome the DoH proposals that "accompanied"
it. I'm just a little concerned that government thinks that most of our
problems can be solved by managment "trickery"; while I believe some serious
spending will be required to get the NHS back into good shape, although I do
take your point about the impact of improved management (with a small m).
But there are encouraging signs, the recent national increase in beds being
a watershed in NHS history. I too view the future of our specialty with a
little more optimism now, and hopefully the knock-on effect will be to keep
some of our disillusioned colleagues from early retirement and to attract
high-quality fresh new recruits into an exciting specialty.

Adrian Fogarty