----- Original Message -----
From: "Beth Christian"
Subject: Re: Advanced Air Way in Prehospital

> In Australia it is deemed to be a reasonable standard of care to have a
> minimum of 4 months in anaesthetics and 12 months in ICU ( where lots of
> arrests and crash intubations are required).

A small point Beth, but I've done quite a lot of ITU, and I found that
arrests and crash intubations were quite rare in this setting. Most of the
patients are already tubed (from elsewhere) and if extubated correctly most
will not require re-tubing. Crash intubations should really be considered a
critical incident in a modern ITU setting. Arrests too should rarely happen;
the patients might have multiorgan failure but they have relatively stable
myocardiums. Some patients do arrest at end-stage but they are not then
usually resuscitated.

In short, what I'm trying to say is that ITU is not a good place to gain
airway experience. Straight anaesthetics is much more beneficial, but if you
really want crash intubations and arrests then go to your local A&E
department!!

Adrian Fogarty