As a radiographer, I came across a regular problem in our department. A chap
had fallen through a roof and fallen 20 feet. He'd injured his shoulder and
had pain in his lower back. He didn't have C-spine tenderness, yet (due to
the mechanism of injury) we needed to clear his C-spine first. So our
imaging priority was his C-spine, Lateral view.
He was a large chap and had bulky shoulders, lying on a spinal board, hard
collar in situ( an imaging nightmare!). Due to his shoulder injury, the Cas
SHO said it would be impossible to apply traction to that side. So we tried
everything we could think of, (5 radiographers with over 30 years experience
between us) traction, swimmers, variations of the two,  and we had to resort
to trauma obliques to show the alignment of C7/ T1 (which our SHO was not
confident about interpreting).
One of our number mentioned it would be so much easier if we could just sit
him up, and let gravity assist us.
Now, clearly in this case with the patients lower back pain it would not be
suitable, but I was wondering why we couldn't sit patients up if they had no
back pain?
 We were only attempting to x-ray this chaps neck because of his mechanism
of injury, and occasionally these patients come for imaging attatched to
spinal boards and/or headblocks with no neck/back  pain, (except that one
they're getting from lying on the spinal board for so long!).
Are there guidelines regarding when patients should be immobilised flat on a
trolley, or could they be sat up to some degree to facilitate better quality
images?
While I'm on the issue, I thought spinal boards were an extrication device-
they look very uncomfortable and often a patient can have spent over an hour
on them before we've finished x-raying everything we've been asked for. I
asked a Casualty nurse about it, and was unhelpfully informed that the
patient couldn't be removed from the spinal board and clothing couldn't be
cut off until we'd cleared the spine. Somehow that doesn't match with my
experience, and I would be grateful for some clarification from the 'docs'.
As a radiographer I would ideally like to provide the best quality images
possible- and the information I have been given by the A and E staff I work
with seems confusing at times and conflicting at worst!
TIA
Vikki Chase