From: Adrian Fogarty <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Sunday, November 18, 2001 12:36 AM
Subject: Re: Head injuries

Maybe Bill, but consider the corollary of your argument. If we didn't x-ray
then surely this particular kid would've been discharged on the basis of
good clinical signs. However I believe she needed to be admitted despite her
good clinical picture, and so did the neurosurgeon. Remember I saw her
within two hours of injury, and her window of risk probably ran to at least
12 hours. I believe the decision to admit or discharge in such cases is very
much guided by x-ray findings. I think it's important to remember that
classic epidurals still occur. Such patients might have no LOC, and can be
clinically very well on presentation. Yet the skull fracture will lead to an
epidural over the next few hours. Clinical assessment is quite redundant in
such cases. Only the skull x-ray will alert you to the potential problem,
and such patients are far too well to CT. Conversely it is generally
accepted that a normal patient with a normal x-ray has a vanishingly small
risk of problems. Sure there is always that 1 in 10,000 patient who defies
the rules, but Bolam will protect us in such cases! Besides, we can't be
expected to treat 10,000 to achieve one benefit.

Adrian Fogarty