I am happy to accept that many shoulders can be reduced without sedation. I feel that the desire not to give analgesia may reflect our own preconceptions about the individual and whether he or she 'deserves' pain relief. As a specialty we have (rightly) made a big deal about the desire of some surgeons to withold analgesia until examination (a view which still seems to exist). It seems to me to be inconsistent to then argue that when we wish to avoid giving it for our own reasons (is a slightly shorter stay in the department for these few patients really so relevant) that is OK.

Devesh Sharma
SpR in A&E Medicine