Cliff,
       I dont know the official Australasian position, but certain high
ranking Fellows have at various times expressed strong opposition to any
suggestion that any of these courses are made compulsary, for all the
reasons you mention. Currently none are.

My personal view is much the same as yours, with the possible exception of
APLS.

My own reasoning for this is that coming up to the end of my training I have
dealt with several hundred adult major trauma's and over a hundred cardiac
arrests. When it comes to kids Ive done maybe 20-25 major trauma's and 12
arrests. Hence I see much greater value in APLS, than ATLS or ALS. That said
all the skills taught on an APLS course should be well taught during an ED
training programme - but the rarity of really sick kids to most trainees
increases its potential usefulness.

Craig

(Conflict of interest : APLS instructor !)