Adrian, I think this depends on the set-up and size of the ICU and its
relationship with the anaesthetic department. A larger predominantly
'medical' (as opposed to full of post-op weaners) ICU will be faced with a
lot of 'dirty' airways both on and off the unit. Examples include sepsis,
deteriorating asthmatics / COPDers on the medical wards, APO/cardoversions
on CCU, failed extubations on the ICU, retrieval of inadequately
resuscitated patients from peripheral hospitals, and so on. These patients
often have limited cardiac and respiratory reserve and RSI is potentially
more hazardous than in theatre and, dare I say it, possibly even than in the
emergency department for some cases where RSI can sometimes be
straightforward in terms of diagnosis (isolated head injury, unconscious
overdose) and environment (equipment, light, nurses, resus room compared
with the corner of the renal ward). Some such places now have the ICU
SHO/Reg on the arrest team rather than the anaesthetist, and on the trauma
team for RSI in the ED. All my RSI experience comes from 18 months in such a
unit, and I found it prepared me well for the REALLY 'dirty airways' in the
pre-hospital care environment (although there are plenty of other
modifications you need to make out there in the 'real world') so I wouldn't
rule ICU out as an alternative to anaesthesia - just pick your department
carefully. You won't learn inhalational anaesthesia though - I still get a
'real anaesthetist' to do that for me - but that's irrelevant to this
pre-hospital thread!

Hope all's well in Hampstead!

Cliff Reid
Australia