In message <[log in to unmask]>, Cliff Reid
<[log in to unmask]> writes

>A few years
>ago I shared your scepticism but like the other authors on the list am now
>totally sold on gentle, slow, ?potentially less traumatic methods of
>manipulation of anterior shoulder dislocations, for which I use entonox
>analgesia. Much quicker, pharmacologically safer, and, as Steve says,
>results in a "street fit" dischargeable patient.

> so let's concentrate on sharing the good stuff.

Thank you for your support, Cliff. I have drawn some fire from colleaues
whom I suspect have never tried to reduce a shoulder in an unsedated
patient.

Doubtless, you will be familiar with Helen Cugnoni's technique, which is
the one I practice, as described.

At present, I am auditing my unsedated shoulders (as well as my regional
anaesthesia work).

Interestingly, there is a subgroup that needs neither sedation nor
analgesia. I have to say that in common with the rest of the list, I do
give analgesia when required (beyond getting my military patients to
bite their berets!)

--
Stephen Hughes