Dennis Martin's excellent posting reminds us that the nineteenth
century was really fascinating in regard to the cult of the saints.
On the one hand, there is an effort to eradicate some traditional
cults, such as that of St Januarius of Naples in the interest
of "modernizing" the church, and, on the other, a need to people
heaven with new replacements.  I suppose it would be far too
difficult for Prof Jestice to collect information as to why so many
of the canonized or blessed were discovered to be such long after
their lives were over.  But it is surely a subject worthy of
attention.

I knew a few Catholics were arrested during the Kulturkampf, but were
there any actual martyrs?

John Mundy

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]