>From: Fred Cartwright <[log in to unmask]>

> > Yes, they will. The FACEM carries a significant
> > Paediatric component in both the writtens and
> > clinicals.
> >
>What format are the clinicals. Having seen too many
>surgeons make it through to consultant level without
>being very good at operating I am somewhat cynical
>about the colleges assessment criteria. I accept that
>it is changing, but it has been a long time coming.

The clinical is 1 long case (usually adult), 4 short cases (one of which
will be a paed) and 6 structured vivas (of which 1-2 will be paediatric)

I accept entirely your comment about consultants - but I personally (putting
on fire proof underware) believe (in EM anyway) it is more of a problem in
the UK than Australasia. A number of consultants with no interest or
experience in resuscitation have been grandfathered in to the UK Faculty -
and as such all consultants are not equal. I certainly dont mean that in an
insulting way - it just explains why there is such as spectrum.

> > But the difference at least at a superficial level
> > is stark. Having worked in SHO driven units and
> > Consultant driven units without a doubt Id rather be
> > sick in a consultant driven one - now clearly your
> > data does not support that - but would you rather
> > have your resus run by a consultant (following
> > guidelines and with knowledge to work around the
> > edges of guidelines - and all their additional
> > practical skills) or the ED/Medical SHO (following
> > the guidelines). Especially if there is anything
> > atypical about your arrest or trauma.
> >
>It depends if you mean sick or in need of resus. I
>suspect our figures show no difference between grades
>(consultants were no worse, but didn't seem to confer
>any advantage) is that resus is a team sport. It is no
>good having a star player if the rest of the team are
>hopeless. As for the additional knowledge/skills of
>consultants there are certain individuals of that
>grade that I wouldn't let anywhere near me or mine!
>Certainly if I was having my femur nailed in my
>hospital then I know who I'd want to do it and it
>wouldn't be any of the consultants - who haven't done
>one in ages!

But you can say that for any medical speciality or situation. I work in a
hospital where the bulk of the resus's are consultant led - and Id prefer
them over the ED SHO or medical registrar. Again if your in a one consultant
unit and they never venture into resus, then obviously I wouldnt let them
near me.

> > Guidelines are a thorny issue too. Having observed
> > the development of some national guidelines, I have
> > lost a lot of faith in the concept of them
> > reflecting best practice - safe practice perhaps,
> > but certainly not best practice. A combination of
> > "experts" from a number of specialities offering
> > their interpretation of the available evidence and
> > reaching a consensus that they (or a more accurately
> > a majority) believe reflect best practice in
> > accordance with the evidence. I think the uncritical
> > acceptance of EBM guidelines is becoming more of a
> > problem. You only need to look as far as the
> > AHA/ILCOR antiarrythmic and medical management of
> > USA guidelines to see the face of these problems IMO
> >
>I wouldn't agree with respect to ALS & ATLS
>guidelines. They are certainly not just what the
>experts think is best. Issues such as high dose
>adrenaline, amiodarone, effectiveness of atropine etc.
>have been subjected to clinical evaluation. The
>results of the research are fed back into the
>guidelines and then re-evaluated. A good example of
>the audit cycle IMHO. The ATLS guidelines were even
>changed to say not everyone needs their c-spine
>x-rayed. Surely a major step for a US lead course. :-)

Again I would disagree on this one. Id didnt say it was just expert
consensus, its an expert consensus interpretation of the literature - and
compromises are made to keep everyone happy.

The new ATLS guidelines 2001/02 certainly look like an improvement, from
what Ive seen of them, but the 1997 guidelines are riddled with
inconsistencies and sub-optimal practice. Equally there are a number of
problems with ALS - or simplifications. Im not saying they are not useful -
obviously they are immensely valuable. But I have to say the more Ive learnt
and the more experience Ive got, the more frustrated I get with resus
guidelines - and there often somewhat superfical dealing with a very complex
area of medical research.

> > The skill retention issue is also very complicated.
> > We have done a number of studies using simulation
> > looking at this. The main recurring theme is not the
> > frequency of exposure, or time since initial
> > teaching ( which are still important), the main
> > issue is quality of initial teaching. This has
> > become a recurring theme - we have tried a number of
> > different teaching formats, and certain teaching
> > formats had the highest correlation with 6 month
> > performance. Very interesting stuff.
> >
>What teaching format came out top?

Seperate medical and nursing teaching of the same material, with subsequent
joint filmed and debriefed scenarios - the video feedback certainly seems to
be very important.

cheers

Craig