I'll follow Rob's lead, and say something about me, though I've been here
since the beginning.  Along with Mary Corcoran, also in Media and Cultural
Studies here at John Moores University, I'm joint moderator of this list.
We decided to set it up after an interdisciplinary conference on
surveillance which we ran here in 1998.

My own work focusses around practices of the self, and I'm particularly
interested in self-surveillance and self-monitoring.  I've done some writing
recently on home video as broadcast on TV, and also on the BBC documentary
series 'Video Nation' which I think uses confessions about the self to map
the nation (in sharp contrast to earlier nation-mapping projects like Mass
Observation which focussed on public spaces and the documentation of other
folks).

In general I'm interested in the way popular culture is implicated in the
government of the self, and converges with neo-liberal logics around
self-management and self-surveillance.

Nicole