Here are the quotations for next week (Oct 28th to Nov 3rd)

1. . ..'The Abbot of Wilton kept the best pack in the country. He enclosed all the Harryngton Woods to Sturt Common. Aluric, a freeman, was dispossessed of his holding. They tried the case at Lewes. But he got no change out of William de Warrenne on the bench. William de Warrenne fined Aluric eight and fourpence for treason, and the Abbot of Wilton excommunicated him for blasphemy. Aluric was no sportsman...'

2. 'Henceforth I will give one dollar to the man on whose land Abu Hussein is found. And another dollar' - he held up the coin - 'to the man on whose land these dogs shall kill him. But to the man on whose land Abu Hussein shall run into a hole such as is this hole, I will give, not dollars, but a most unmeasurable beating.'

3. ... (he) desired more than he desired anything else at that moment, to ride, and above all, to jump on a ninety guinea bay gelding with black points and a slovenly habit of hitting his fences. He did not wish many people to be privy to the matter...

The sources of last week's quotations (Oct 21st to Oct 27th) were as follows:

1. 'Let me assure you that the treaty with Great Britain will be made...' This is from 'Brothe Squaretoes' in 'Rewards and Fairies'

2.  '...you won't decline. You'll hang on to your two nice red-strapped axles and your new machine-moulded pinions...'  This is from 'Under the Mill Dam' in 'Traffics and Discoveries'

3.  ''You tell me that that good ship's timber never done nothing against winds and weathers since her upspringing, and I'll confess ye that young Frankie never done nothing neither...'  This is from 'Simple Simon' in 'Rewards and Fairies'.

Good wishes to all, John R