At 14:47 2-10-01 +0100, you (=Paul Rosen) wrote:
>Not strictly a qual-software query, but one that comes a bit later in the
>process ...  does anyone have any recommendations of software for indexing a
>book?  I don't want to pay a huge amount, and may be forced to do it
>manually, but if anybody knows of a cheap but effective programme, I'd be
>grateful for tips.

I think no special software is needed. Take a look at your word processor's
help topics. Then the problem is to have the pages in your electronic
version correspond with the pages in the proofs, as the page numbers you
will use in your index have to correspond to those in the book. Then you
make the name index by searching for the names you know are of importance
in the book, and mark those that are relevant in the text. Then choose
those key terms that you want in the subject index, search and mark those
as well. Then try to remember which topics are important but not findable
with just one key term, and where you treat those, ad references to those
pages as well. All this can be done separately from other activities, but
the most efficient is to combine it with proofreading: as you read the
proofs, you mark the items you want in the index.

In short, before asking for new software tools, see what can be done with
what you have!

Hope this helps!

Paul

Paul ten Have, Associate Professor, Department of Sociology & Anthropology,
Faculty of Social and Behavioural Sciences, University of Amsterdam.
O.Z. Achterburgwal 185, 1012 DK Amsterdam, the Netherlands
http://www.pscw.uva.nl/emca/index.htm