At 10:50 22-10-01 -0400, you wrote:

>> I'm teaching a two-day interactive course on **handling** qualitative data,
>> next month, in Sydney. Not on any software, rather on why you would be
>> wanting to do this and what to do with qualitative data if you get some.
>>
>[SNIP]>
>> I'd be interested to hear from listmembers about this approach - and what
>> they'd look for, or try to fit in, such a course!

I like the short piece by John Seidel (developper of The Ethnograph),
available at his website: http://www.QualisResearch.com/QDA.htm , file name
qda.pdf, called 'Qualitative Data Analysis' which offers a basic model of
QDA as a recursive process of noticing, collecting and thinking about
things, as well as his observations on the limitations of the
code-and-retrieve as applied to data fragments. So I ask my students to
read that. I also start with explaining how QDA was done before 1980, and
how present day programs can be seen as facilitating a 'simulation' of such
operations with other means. This is not a denyal of the many find
additions that present-day programs make available, but a warning the the
basic process is as it was, something that happens between you and your data.

Not that I think this is new to you Lyn!

Paul

Paul ten Have, Associate Professor, Department of Sociology & Anthropology,
Faculty of Social and Behavioural Sciences, University of Amsterdam.
O.Z. Achterburgwal 185, 1012 DK Amsterdam, the Netherlands
http://www.pscw.uva.nl/emca/index.htm