-----Original Message-----
From: Researching and evaluating the use of narrative in health and
related fields [mailto:[log in to unmask]]On
Behalf Of Judith Norman
Sent: 27 October 2001 10:49
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Intro

Hello,
Most of you seem to be miles ahead of me in insight and command of language.
Perhaps that's why I'm an anaesthetist (but there you are, at least I do
know
one big word!).

I run a NHS Pain Clinic and since it is becoming more and more obvious that
you can't cure pain by deadening nerves (except with cancer), 95% of my time
in the clinic is spent grappling with people's narratives and trying to help
them work out ways of understanding what the pain means in each case, and
ways
of coping with it and learning to enjoy life despite pain. I wish more GPs
were
like Nigel but mostly they expect that I will "fix" the patient in one
session.

My big steps forward were reading about Motivation Enhancement in
"Psychological
Approaches to Pain" by Gatchell and Turk, and joining the BSMDH (Br Soc of
Med
and Dental Hypnosis). John Launer's workshop (at the Cambridge meeting) on
six
hints beginning with C were the  best "nuggets" I brought away and am busy
trying
to incorporate those into my practice.

When I've had psychologists sitting in with me in the clinic they all are
amazed
at how many patients I see who they think would benefit from cognitive
behavioural
input. What I'd like to learn is how to help the patient bridge the gap
between
a presentation with only physical symptoms on the agenda to an understanding
that psychological factors are relevant without implying that "the pain's
all
in your head". Then I could refer them to said psychologists and get stuck
into
reducing my 10 month waiting list.
Judith