Richard Landes <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>At 11:31 AM 10/22/2001 -0700, you wrote:

>>....These public readings, pilgrimages & celebrations must certainly have
included peasants among their participants.

>yes, they surely did.

mmmmmmm..... *perhaps* a poor, overworked rustic might take a day off to visit
the local ( = less than half a day's walk) shrine or pilgrimage site, i
suppose.

but i'd really like to hear the evidence for extensive (or even significant)
participation by the peasantry --*in this period*-- in long-range pilgrimage.

growing enough food for oneself and everybody else was just too much of a
full-time occupation when crop yields were, what?, 3-5 to one.  not to speak
of the legal questions surrounding their freedom to go walk-about.

>the point about their participation, hv, is that it seems primarily concerned
with thaumaturgy -- healing miracles etc...

good point.

and, presumably, the only reason for their inclusion in the hagiographic
literature was that they were useful for purposes of demonstrating the
thaumaturgical efficacy of a particular saint's ju-ju.

>-- and therefore doesn't make much of a case for a "christian" commitment on
the part of these "peasants"/rustici.

now, i thought --and was quite happy with the thought-- that this string had
nicely disposed of that troubling question by defining "Christian" in such a
fashion as to include most *any* sort of hybred belief/practice.  the Idea of
Progress demands that we not descend back into those dank depths.

>if you've read some of the sermons, it's hard to imagine the rustici getting
very excited about their contents --sort of like lots of lectures we've heard
(and given).

good point.

of course, one might suggest that the only sermons which were deemed worthy of
being recorded (and, Merovingian mss. survivals being rather rare,
re-recorded) by the *tiny* minority of folks who were *solely* possessed of
the means and abilities to do so would perhaps have been those sermons which
were of interest to *themselves.*

obviously, the tens of thousands of sermons which were preached to the
peripatetic rustic masses simply haven't survived, along with all the records
of their gifts of valuable property to ecclesiastical institutions.

now i'm all confused again.

best from here,

christopher

to: [log in to unmask]