See Rev. 7:4-8 regarding the 144,000 (12,000 from each tribe of Israel) sealed against harm in the end-times.  This number figures in all sorts of apocalyptic movements throughout history; e.g., the Jehovah's Witnesses make it central to their self-understanding.

Dennis Martin

>>> [log in to unmask] 10/17/01 12:55PM >>>
Dear list members,

I just read in a rosecrucian publication that the Katholic (?) God would
only save 144.000 souls. It's called the theological salvation plan, which
the rozecrucians disapprove. But why 144.000 souls? Does the bible say that?
Has the pope said something like that once? What's the point of that number?

Bas Jongenelen

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]