Thanks for reminding me of one of the most beautiful ceremonies I have ever witnessed: the blessing of the two lambs at the feast of St Agnes in Rome.  The two lambs, crowned each with a chaplet of rosebuds (one red, one white) were settled in separate baskets, decorated with roses and carried on litters by young girls from the parish school.  As I confirmed afterwards, their feet were bound to prevent them from bolting...  they were brought up the aisle before the offertory and placed in their baskets on the altar.  Above them, the majestic virgin Agnes standing between two popes in the magnificent apse mosaic: the triumphant martyr.  Below, the earthly remains of Agnes and untold others in the catacombs.  Innocence, sacrifice and triumph had never before appreared to me in such powerful combination.
TGD

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]