Gaudentius of Brescia (d. c. 420)  Gaudentius was a monk in Caesarea in
Cappadocia.  Probably in 396 he became bishop of Brescia (Italy).
Gaudentius was among John Chrysostom's supporters at the Council of
Constantinople in 405/406.  He was one of the most learned churchmen of
his
time, and left several notable texts.

Interesting to see Brescia get a mention. Seems to have been a hotbed
for a great many centuries. We have Philaster, ranting on about
heretics, we have bishops who may or may not have been heretic. We have
Albertano (my own personal bugbear) who acknowledges, as a layman, the
role of the professional classes in the 'new society' (thinks: is he our
first sociologist? unthinks). And nowadays it does light engineering and
is a centre for the Italian small-arms industry.

Angus, Oman

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]