medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and culture Gurevich is, in my judgment, too hasty here.  I suggest John Van Engen's now classic essay, “The Christian Middle Ages as an Historiographical Problem.” American Historical Reivew 91 (1986): 519-532.  It's a sensitive and sensible navigation through the question of how we has historians deal with evidence that suggests varying degrees of adherence to Christianity, and has been recommended by others on this list before.

Patrick Nugent.