Again I have to agree with Peter, but it is both a matter of horses for courses, and the skillful use of technology and staff, and the multi purpose use of the library with and by other agencies. Again research has shown how the local library can help keep a street/local community vibrant. What are the comparative costs of the Central library, probably with high rates and other costs, versus the local one., providing local opportunities for work etc. Something else to address.
It wasn't long ago that a County Librarian of a very large County said to me 'why do I need networked facilities in the branches, I have a large reference Library at(place) people can drive to it!??' But the 'place' was up to 40 -50 miles away from large numbers of the population.
----- Original Message -----
From: [log in to unmask]>GAW, Peter
To: [log in to unmask]>[log in to unmask]
Sent: Wednesday, October 31, 2001 1:07 PM
Subject: Main Library Debate

I have a slight dichotomy about this - on one hand yes the local community library has a value as 'a real place in a virtual world' that is worth defending.

On the other hand the truth is that many small libraries have been left to deteriorate through lack of investment. The opening hours are too few and the staff at a minimum and with little 'professional' input. In some cases they should be closed, where communities have changed, moved or gone. The benefit of the venue (including its ICT and Book contents) is only demonstrated if it accessible (open times, disability, etc..)

Staff are the key , and often their vision of the library service is a 1950's (lots of lending fiction) not a local information and learning centre for the 21st Century. How we change and influence this is key to the future of all libraries.

Story

New library opened in rural community,  - visiting Asst County Librarian asks library manger 'how's it going ?'

She says ' Oh fine.., only could you have that sign saying 'information centre' taken away because people keep coming in and asking questions'

Peter