*Apologies for cross-posting*

Apologies too for the delay in summarising! I received the following
to anyone who would be interested (let me know if you would like copies).
As we thought, it proved a difficult issue in a strategic level review of
Cultural Services & we had to revert to service level details in the end.
Although no academic libraries expressed interest in competing for these
services we considered this option in the competition element (along with
trusts, private & voluntary/community sectors, social enterprises etc).

One authority is "piloting supplier selection for our fiction.  The
supplier is using professional librarians to do the selection based on
profiles developed by our librarians.  Early indications are that whilst on
the surface it would appear to be a cost-effective solution the quality
element needs working on.  We have had some 'teething' troubles with books
being supplied which are 'out of profile' which then means that the
professional staff who were previously doing the selection are spending
time 'monitoring' and feeding back."

"UNISON haven commissioned several excellent reports and have a great deal
of expertise on
Best Value.  ALso, the Centre for Public Services, a consultancy based in
Sheffield, can provide alot of advice and information about Best Value and
Competition. Dexter Whitfield is the contact there."

Another is considering outsourcing Bib. Services. Options they are
considering are consortia, partnership with another library, or the
commercial sector.

"Competition was a difficult area to explore as very little has been done
in this area. It is worth looking at some of the inspection reports that
are on the Audit commission BV site as well, Matthew Watson in Gateshead
was particularly helpful, as were Staffordshire.
Contact is Carol Woolley, Network of libraries Project Team Tel 01905

DETR report that was published earlier this year:-
Martin, Steve.  Improving public services : final evaluation of the Best
Value Pilot
Programme. London: Department of the Environment, Transport and Regions,
2001.
1851124683  £15.00.

"Instant Library is currently managing library services on behalf of the
London Borough of Haringey.  We would be very happy to talk to you about
our experiences of the competition element of Best Value." Contact is Diana
Edmonds, Managing Director. www.instant-library.com

In Sheffield's experience "the Inspectors made no specific comment on the
competition section so we assume it was acceptable.  Their only comment was:
Applying the 4Cs - compete
1 The review considered the scope for market testing elements of the
service, but it failed to develop any firm proposals for doing so. We note
that the Council's new procurement strategy has strong links to the
methodology of best value. This procurement strategy now specifies criteria
for assessing the potential for market testing services and this should
assist the library service to take a systematic approach to reviewing its
future procurement arrangements.
2 The improvement plan includes commitments to:
* market-test discrete parts of the service; and
* consider Trust status for the whole service "
Contact - Keith Crawshaw, Head of Leisure Services, Sheffield City Council
Tel:  +44 (0) 114 273 4700

I have copies of the following attachments but have not included them to
save space!  Please email if you would like copies.

Worcestershire Best Value competition part 2.doc & Options for
Competition.doc
Sheffield Libraries Best Value Review - Final Main Report.doc

Many thanks to all who responded,
Kay Winter,
Best Value Team
Durham Arts, Libraries & Museums