Joan Unwin wrote:

I reply to the group because I think Wolfgang
Ebert has opened a
can of worms.  I would appreciate hearing people's
views.  My own
problem with museums, as a visitor and as an
exhibitor, is
LABELS.  Where do they go ? Next to the object, on
a list at the
side, in a folder, on separate cards?  Often it
seems the museum
is coy about telling you what an object is for
fear of destroying the
integrity of the 'display space'.  Having tried,
with bifocals, to turn
from the number on the object to the list down one
side, I finish up
with neck ache.  Having watched children attempt
to locate the
number and match it with the information, I see
them walk off
frustrated.
Why  it hard to strike a happy medium between
those who wish to
know more and those with a desire to glance and
browse.

Oh yes, this was included in my posting at
"typography". Labels are normally a very
disturbing thing. I useally don´t read them,
because I cannot read them....

Dr. Wolfgang Ebert

Büro/Office:
Deutsche Gesellschaft für Industriekultur e.V.
Emscherstraße 71
D-47137 Duisburg
Fon: +49-203-426482
Fax: +49-203-426481
Handy/Mobile Phone: +49-172-4612015
Internet: www.industriekultur.de
eMail: mailto:[log in to unmask]
ICQ: 64123075

Privatbüro/Privat Office:
Zitterhuck 21a
D-47608 Geldern
Fon: +49-2835-444681
Fax: +49-2835-444682

Durch diesen Link finden Sie mich auf einer Karte
im Internet:
http://www.veturo.com/quickmap.php?id=096e661d6491
1138cd8638b8abdb4594

Möchten Sie regelmässig Neuigkeiten aus der Welt
der Industriekultur in Ihrem Postfach haben? Nur
eine (leere) Mail senden an:
mailto:[log in to unmask]