I reply to the group because I think Wolfgang Ebert has opened a
can of worms.  I would appreciate hearing people's views.  My own
problem with museums, as a visitor and as an exhibitor, is
LABELS.  Where do they go ? Next to the object, on a list at the
side, in a folder, on separate cards?  Often it seems the museum
is coy about telling you what an object is for fear of destroying the
integrity of the 'display space'.  Having tried, with bifocals, to turn
from the number on the object to the list down one side, I finish up
with neck ache.  Having watched children attempt to locate the
number and match it with the information, I see them walk off
frustrated.
Why  it hard to strike a happy medium between those who wish to
know more and those with a desire to glance and browse.

Joan Unwin
Joan Unwin,
Research Associate,Hawley Project,
University of Sheffield,
c/o ARCUS,
Department of Archaeology and Prehistory,
Westcourt,
2 Mappin Street,
Sheffield, S1 4ET

Tel : 0114 222 7100