I would like to invite my friends and colleagues (and OK anyone who doesnıt
like me too) who read this list to consider contributing an article to a
very special edition of the e-journal Virtual Explorer called
³Visualization, Teaching and Learning in Structural Geology.² A copy of the
text of the official announcement follows or you can go to the website with
this URL: http://www.virtualexplorer.com.au/VEjournal/Volume8/index.html.

The deadline for submissions of concepts will be extended to the end of
November, 2001 instead of early October as indicated in the announcement. I
am also willing to extend the final submission deadline somewhat if
necessary. I may be contacting some of you individually to solicit a
contribution.

The Virtual Explorer uses a dynamic review process. If you would like to
assist in reviewing articles submitted for this or any other issue of the
journal, please go to the following URL:
http://www.virtualexplorer.com.au/VEjournal/review.html.

Thank you.

Dr. Andy R.  Bobyarchick
Department of Geography and Earth Sciences
9201 University City Blvd.
Charlotte, NC 28223

Telephone (704) 687-4264
Email [log in to unmask]
Web http://www.uncc.edu/geopick

Call for papers

Journal of the Virtual Explorer,
Volume 8

Edited by
Dr Andy R. Bobyarchick

We are soliciting papers for a special edition of the e-journal of the
Virtual Explorer to be titled Visualization, Teaching and Learning in
Structural Geology. This volume will be edited by Dr Andy R. Bobyarchick
from the Department of Geography and Earth Sciences at the University of
North Carolina in Charlotte.

Contributions can cover a wide range of topics in structural geology and
need not be restricted by level of complexity or detail. We invite works
that brilliantly convey or articulate classical concepts, that clarify
advanced or newly emerging concepts, or that illustrate the underlying
scientific beauty of deformed rocks and regions. We encourage you to stretch
the bounds of conventional presentation and make full use of new media. Do
you have plots, diagrams, maps or images that can be animated? Have you
developed unique tools for visualization of structures? Are you an
experienced structural geologist with a lifetime of maps and images some of
which might be wrapped in a presentation for learning? If so, consider
contributing to Visualization, Teaching and Learning in Structural Geology.

As a digital publication, the Virtual Explorer can accept several forms of
contributions but we do ask that your work be viewable in recent versions of
Web browsers. Use of JavaScript and Java applications is permissible if
these will work on multiple platforms. If your contribution requires the use
of a browser plug-in please make certain that the plug-in is easily
available over the Internet. Questions regarding file formats should be
directed to the Virtual Explorer.

If you do not have access to the required software and/or expertise
necessary to produce an animation, but you do have material that is suitable
(e.g., evolution of an orogenic zone in a sequence of maps and/or
cross-sections) please contact the Virtual Explorer, and if possible, we
will provide assistance to allow you to produce your article (animated and
in electronic format). A charge will apply to the provision of such
services.

Important dates

We would like intending authors to submit an expression of interest in the
form of a title and brief (100 words) description by the 1st October 2001.
The final submission date for articles will be the 7th January, 2002.
Articles submitted prior to this will be placed in "Dynamic Review" on the
web when they are received and may be referenced as such. The final
publication will be available in both digital and printed (CDs) versions.