Dear ASMI Jiscmail,

I am researching a paper on 'Progress and Danger: The Manchester
model of industrialism as viewed from mid-C19 Italy' for a
conference on 'High culture and tall chimneys: arts, sciences
and knowledge in nineteenth-century Manchester' to be held on
November 3rd 2001 in Manchester Web-site:
http://www.art.man.ac.uk/ARTHIST/patron_conf/CONFER%7E1.HTM

My paper proposal included reference to how 'For some
commentators in Europe, Manchester provided a vision of
scientific and economic progress, while for others it served as
a dire warning of the perils of 'industrialism' and the need to
avoid its attendant social ills. The paper will discuss
contrasting images of Manchester among mid-C19 Italian
scientists, social reformers and writers'.

I would be very grateful for any suggestions or comments on my
topic.

Martin Brown

Martin Brown
Senior Lecturer in History
School of Humanities and Social Sciences
Staffordshire University
College Road
Stoke on Trent
ST4 2DE