Not that it really matters but could it be that some of the 'lack of enthusiasm'
for the term Casualty results from the fact that the old governing body of the
specialty was the 'Casualty Surgeons Association'. As more and more of us have
grown up and trained without actually becoming surgeons it seems sensible to
no longer refer to us as Casualty Surgeons...... which then leaves the question
'well what are we then?' Personally when I grow up I want to be an expert in
emergencies be that a twited ankle, an MI, DKA or an RTA... so it makes sense
to call myself an Emergency Doctor..after all it is what I am trained to do.

On or more serious note perhaps a chnage in name also would help to differnetiate
what we do to what was done 20 years ago, Some of our more senior in hospital
bound colleagues still do not seem to appreciate the range of skills  A&E doctors
bring to a hospital. Having all done their bit as 'Cas Officers' they think
that is how it still is and as a consequence seem to think that we are triage
at best and work generating incompetents at worse........ or am I too jaundiced!!!

Regards
Peter A Cutting