That, my dear fellow, is because you have not tried it! ;-)

Here's how I do it...

Sit the patient bolt upright and relax them with a bit of chat. Tell him
that he should imagine his elbow is descending slowly to the floor and
continue with the blarney.

Whilst finding out what the patient's cat is called, apply traction at
the elbow slowly and imperceptibly.

You are now on the subject of what his ideal car is.. Apply external
rotation very slowly.

Gentle rotatory moves at various points may be helpful in overcoming
spasm and relaxing the muscles. You are now talking about how rewarding
your job is (list malcontents to omit this step!)

Discussion of holidays that one has recently enjoyed is accompanied by
either a gratifying clunk or the end stage described by Adrian Fogarty.

Top tips:
Never ever discuss Women, Politics or Religeon during the procedure or
you will surely not succeed!

If at any point there is any pain, stop and do not move. The pain
passes. Continue thereafter.

Genial disposition and chat is the key. Do not attempt if stressed or in
a bad mood.

Give it a go, good luck!
--
Stephen Hughes SpR Anything & Everything, NE Thames